Red X Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesXatRegisterLog in
Top posters
savage
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers I_vote_lcapUbisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers I_voting_barUbisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers I_vote_rcap 
xSuck Itx
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers I_vote_lcapUbisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers I_voting_barUbisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers I_vote_rcap 
THE D3MON
+ FUSiiON +
Wasp
xDeadry
Goober
RED58
$w@mpdonk3y
xSIMONx
Latest topics
» grand theft auto 5
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:36 pm by Rex

» Red X Member List
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:51 pm by REDOCTOBER

» xKOSx kill on sight is back add me
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 10:06 pm by xKOSx

» wtf site??????
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 11:34 pm by Crazy52

» im i in red x ?
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 am by xSuck Itx

» Opinion on the (CC) clan
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 am by Dakota

» Sorry about being inactive
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 pm by $w@mpdonk3y

» The Stranger
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 7:38 pm by soda

» Can I join red x?
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 5:43 pm by xDeadry

Rss Feed

Top posting users this week
No user

Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
+ FUSiiON +
Recruit
Recruit
+ FUSiiON +

Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers Empty
PostSubject: Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers   Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:14 am

Ubisoft is not held in the highest esteem among PC gamers. There are a variety of reasons for that, the most prominent being the manner in which the publisher has handled DRM. Its games have been saddled with what is perceived by many as being unacceptable forms of digital rights management, the technology used to combat piracy. The company has now declared it is changing the way it handles things, and while it hasn't given us the satisfaction of admitting it was wrong, the important thing is one of the world's biggest biggest publishers now appears to be taking computer gaming much more seriously.

To be fair, Ubisoft had already taken some steps to further capitalize on the PC gaming market recently. It announced several new free-to-play titles last month and then launched Uplay PC, a digital distribution platform for its PC games that operates like Origin or Steam. Whom this was targeted at was unclear; with Ubisoft having the reputation it does, many hardcore PC gamers shy away from buying PC versions of Ubisoft's games in the first place. (I count myself among this group; I think Anno 2070 looks great, and even though it has been discounted numerous times on Steam, tales of its DRM were enough for me to take a stand and not buy it.) The odds that these people would not only support its games despite the way they are treated, but do so directly through its own distribution service were not high.

That the company would bother investing in such a service seemed unusual, since shortly thereafter CEO Yves Guillemot claimed PC games see a piracy rate of 93 to 95 percent, a figure so staggeringly high it was hard to believe. It was presented, as such claims almost always are, without any hard evidence or specifics as to which games or regions these numbers applied to. It also seemed curious considering the always-online DRM Ubisoft often uses, which requires players to be online in order to play even single-player content, was deemed a success by the publisher last year.

The fact that Ubisoft would even open up and discuss the subject with anyone seems like a promising sign in and of itself; aside from these seemingly baseless comments about piracy rates and the ability of DRM to keep pirates locked out, it typically avoided broaching the subject. That changed this week when worldwide director for online games Stephanie Perotti and corporate communications manager Michael Burk spoke with Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Neither was willing to admit regret over the form of DRM used in the past or that doing so had been a mistake -- something RPS' John Walker surmises, and I agree, could be to avoid shareholder backlash -- but we did get some encouraging news regarding the way things will be handled going forward.

Full Story at http://www.1up.com/news/ubisoft-prepares-do-right-pc-gamers
Back to top Go down
http://www.haxzingforum.co.cc

Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Red X Clan :: PC News-
Jump to:  
ChatBox
Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com