Red X Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesXatRegisterLog in
Top posters
savage
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry I_vote_lcapIntel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry I_voting_barIntel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry I_vote_rcap 
xSuck Itx
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry I_vote_lcapIntel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry I_voting_barIntel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry I_vote_rcap 
THE D3MON
+ FUSiiON +
Wasp
xDeadry
Goober
RED58
$w@mpdonk3y
xSIMONx
Latest topics
» grand theft auto 5
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:36 pm by Rex

» Red X Member List
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:51 pm by REDOCTOBER

» xKOSx kill on sight is back add me
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 10:06 pm by xKOSx

» wtf site??????
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 11:34 pm by Crazy52

» im i in red x ?
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 am by xSuck Itx

» Opinion on the (CC) clan
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 am by Dakota

» Sorry about being inactive
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 pm by $w@mpdonk3y

» The Stranger
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 7:38 pm by soda

» Can I join red x?
Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 5:43 pm by xDeadry

Rss Feed

Top posting users this week
No user

Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry

Go down 
AuthorMessage
+ FUSiiON +
Recruit
Recruit
+ FUSiiON +

Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry Empty
PostSubject: Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry   Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:17 am

The PC industry got another does of sour news Friday when Intel announced it's cutting its third-quarter revenue outlook.

The world's largest chip maker lowered its revenue forecast from an expected $13.8 billion to $14.8 billion for the quarter to $13.2 billion, plus or minus $300 million. The company blamed a reduction in supply chain inventory, a sluggish enterprise PC market and waning demand in emerging markets.

None of that is good news for a PC industry that has been repeatedly hammered by the growing popularity of small, cool tablets and several years of a slow economy.

It's also not good news for the overall tech industry, since analysts generally agree that Intel itself is a bellwether for the high-tech industry.

"Intel is a bellwether of the overall health of the PC market and the cut of its revenue estimate certainly isn't a good sign," said Dan Olds, an analyst with The Gabriel Consulting Group. "Chips are the bellwether for tech. Right now, however, it looks like it's the PC segment that's sick, not the industry overall."

He was quick to point out that server demand, for instance, is reasonably solid.

"Customers are paying more attention to what they're buying and the associated price tags, but they're still buying," said Olds.

The fact that the PC market and the chip market are struggling comes as no surprise.

Late last month, industry analyst firm IHS iSuppli downgraded its 2012 forecast for the global semiconductor market based on slumping economic conditions and chip revenue. Analysts there noted that the worldwide chip market, which had been expected to grow by less than 3% for the year, is projected to decline by 0.1%

The downgrade for the chip market is relatively new, though.

In March, analysts at Gartner felt the industry was set for a solid turnaround this year, predicting that global computer chip revenue would reach $316 billion, a 4% increase over 2011.

IHS iSupply, however, isn't seeing that. And analysts there say the lagging PC market is largely to blame.

"The overall PC industry is challenged right now, including PC makers, distribution channels and component suppliers," said Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy. "This PC slowdown couldn't have come at a worse time, given the close proximity to the holiday selling season, where 50% of all consumer PCs are sold."

Rob Enderle, an analyst with the Enderle Group, noted that many PC makers may have scaled back production as they nervously wait to see whether Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system will be popular with buyers. That, he said, is one of several issues affecting the PC market, and hence the chip market, as well.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9231060/Intel_s_lowered_forecast_isn_t_a_good_sign_for_PC_industry for Page 2
Back to top Go down
http://www.haxzingforum.co.cc

Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry
Page 1 of 1